The Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research is a not-for-profit biomedical research organization. It was founded in 1961 by Silvio Garattini , founder and present Director, and Mario Negri (1891-1960), a Milanese jeweler and philantropist. The Institute’s main aim is to help defend human health and life.
In 1963 the official activities began, with 22 people in the staff. Nowadays the Mario Negri Institute has 3 headquarters: Milan, Bergamo and Ranica (BG), with 750 people in its staff.
In 2013 the Institute was officially recognized as IRCCS, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico.
We have published more than 14,000 articles in international scientific journals as a Centre for Biomedical Research.
These are areas in which Mario Negri has been an instrumental contributor:
- the battle against cancer
- psychiatric and neurological diseases
- cardiovascular diseases
- renal diseases
- rare diseases
- organ transplants
- toxic effects of environmental contaminants
- pain relief and drug addiction
- mother and child's health
Parallel to its biomedical investigations, the Mario Negri Institute runs training schemes for laboratory technicians and graduate researchers. It takes part in a range of initiatives to communicate information in biomedicine, on a general level and with the specific aims of improving health care practice, and encouraging more rational use of drugs.
The results obtained by our researchers have raised so much interest that four of the 50 Italian researchers most cited worldwide in all scientific disciplines, work here at the Mario Negri Institute.